Tuesday, July 13, 2010

MENTORING AND TEACHING

Sorry to any faithful followers that I have not contributed to my blog in the last few weeks. I have been racing toward the finish line to complete my two books ‘Beyond Formatting’ and ’15 Steps Toward Becoming a Successful (Screen) Writer.’

The book world is considerably different (more difficult) than the screenwriting world.

That aside, a few weeks ago I was invited by two of my ex-students, Beth Gordon and Michael Swindler, to a SIX SHORT FILM FESTIVAL at PARAMOUNT STUDIOS.

I had not seen Beth or Michael since our days at USC School of Cinematic Arts. I was a writing teacher for a post graduate program. Michael and Bethe were exceptional students.

When my guest and I took our seats, I kept glancing at my watch wondering when we were going to be able to bolt out of there to catch the last game of the NBA championship between the Celtics and the Lakers.

The lights in the theater went down and the first short film was presented. I believe it was ‘SECOND BEST’ by Jason Wong.

By the time the short film festival was over, I had come to the realization that mentoring and teaching was something much more profound than I had thought.

(The NBA finals had long slipped my mind.)

Beth Gordon’s short was called ‘CHILD INVISIBLE.’ Michael Swingler’s short was called ‘MIDLIFE.’ Both of the shorts were (are) outstanding.

I have never created and directed a film. I watched with a careful and tearful eye.

My students, who were forced to take a writing course from me to meet their curriculum, had both far exceeded me and they were obviously taking flight in their new careers.

I have written and produced screenplays, but I had never directed a film. The idea is too daunting. All that goes into creating and directing a film makes screenwriting seem like recreation.

Directing a film means you have to deal with every aspect of filmmaking from the actors, to lighting, to camera operation, to sound, and editing. (Not to mention, budget, schedule, catering, transportation, looping and the whole nine.)

I left the Paramount theater with a new understanding of mentoring and teaching. Mentoring and teaching means that we are brief guides to people who we hope will far exceed our own success. It means that we don’t hold back in order to keep our students from rising to heights we never imagine for ourselves.

Beth and Michael have far exceeded me and my expectations. They have jettisoned into bold and unbounded accomplishments. I have no doubt that I will be working for them one day. You can take that to the bank.

Yes, I will become the student and they will become the teachers. Much like the night I sat and watched their film shorts with pride and joy.

Now, I happily wait for Matthew MacDonald to debut and showcase his unbridled talent. You can also take that to the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment