Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Chicago Screenwriter's Network

My maiden voyage to Chicago got off to a less than stellar beginning. My luck completely changed when I met several members of the Chicago Screenwriter’s Network.

I looked forward to conducting a workshop. Columbia College had not jumped for joy when I arrived, but the Institution was gracious enough to let me use their facility to host a workshop.

Ninety-nine point nine percent of the enrollment of my workshop was members of the Chicago Screenwriter’s Network. I must go on record to say, of my near half dozen years of teaching at a major (Southern California) film school, and several workshops and appearances, the best audience I have ever had was the Chicago Screenwriter’s Network.

These folks are warm, polite, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and just down right good people. Most of them have written several screenplays and taken several workshops and classes. It’s as if they cannot get enough experience and exposure to writing feature films and television pilots.

They took copious notes and asked questions that showed me they were right on point, and willing to accept any knowledge I could impart. They were as colorful as a Benetton ad. They came in all shapes and sizes. The common denominators were their courteous manner and their thirst for screenwriting techniques and stories.

When any teacher stands in front of students who are sponges for information, it is rewarding beyond explanation. The more they wanted, the more I was willing to give. At one point, I felt I needed to take a breath and not try to cram so much information Hollywood screenwriting experience into a few short hours. Fortunately, I would turn to this audience and they held pens at the ready over notepads.

Some of my students have gone on to be more successful than me. I wanted the same for each and every member of the Chicago Screenwriter’s Network.

I wanted to mentor them into instant Hollywood fame. I still do. I want to be the bridge for each and every one of them to walk over into stardom.

My own Hollywood story is not completed. I have several irons in the fires with noted studios, networks, and production companies. Part of me wants to stop time, so I can devote myself to the Chicago Screenwriter’s Network.

They say, to truly give back, one needs to send the elevator back down for someone else to come up. I hope there is room for all the members of the Chicago Screenwriter’s network.

No comments:

Post a Comment